I think we can all agree that the end of this year is coming with anticipation, exhilaration, and perhaps with some dread mixed in. I’m sure all have you have witnessed an increase in engagements around the holiday season, and that might be where some of that ‘dread’ is coming from. But have no fear! Whether you are the engaged, or the one closer to your cat than an actual man, weddings are always something exciting for everyone to partake in. So, what were the biggest trends of 2017 and how would I rate them?
- PUPPIES AND KITTENS!!!
- I hope you all can sense the excitement as I write this portion of my article. Not only was the trend absolutely adorable to see occurring, I witnessed some couples even partnering with local shelters to use the puppies and kittens in their wedding in hopes that they may be adopting during their event! Absolutely sweet and so thoughtful, so I give this trend a 10 out of 10!
2. Naked Cakes
- Truly, I’m not exactly sure what to think of this trend. I planned a wedding back in November and the bride and groom chose a naked cake for their wedding. Now, they were extremely lucky with their cake, because it was not only stunning to look at, but it was also delicious. By having a naked cake, you risk having a dry cake because of the exposed sides. But other than that, I see no problem having on at your wedding, especially if your theme is more rustic and romantic, and not especially a fan of icing. I give this a 6 out of 10!
3. Green, Green, and more Green
- Foliage was 100% a hot trend for the year. Green is everywhere now a days, and with it being a fresh, cheap alternative to expensive floral arrangements, everyone is looking to have some sort of green within their wedding. So I give this a 10 out of 10!
4. One of a Kind Invitations
- This trend was especially noticeable this year, with many couples choosing multiple colors and textures to form their one of kind invitations. Now, I wouldn’t recommend putting the money out for this if you have a limited budget. Invitations are, to be frank, just paper. They are special, but if you have a limited amount of money, it is a much better idea to save your funds to put towards the actual event itself. I give this a 5 out of 10.
5. Rose Gold EVERYTHING
- My sister has fallen victim to this trend, and I suppose I have as well. Rose gold has always worked so well with my skin tone, and that’s such a huge factor when choosing your wedding colors. If you honestly look, rose gold is everywhere in weddings now, whether in the dress or or decor, or even wedding rings. Gold and silver just aren’t cutting it anymore, and that is completely understandable. And since I absolutely adore this color, I give this trend a 10 out of 10!
6. Rustic Venues
- Rustic venues played a huge part as a trend for wedding venue choices not just with this year, but for 2016 as well! Rustic venues could include barns, lodges, etc. They add such a nice, romantic touch to a wedding, especially if the couple has a special significance to the style of the venue. I give this trend a 9 out of 10.
7. For the men, Colorful Suits!
- Rather than the traditional black suits for your groomsmen, a recent trend that’s taken hold of engaged couples everywhere is the appeal of alternative colored suits, like navy blue, gray, or even white! The bridesmaids are always the side of the wedding party to be creative with their outfit choices, but 2017 proved to be the year for the groomsmen! I personally find these colors to be such a nice touch to a wedding, and I truly believe that this trend won’t just end when the year does. It will most likely go on to a staple for weddings to come! And on a scale out of 10, I give this trend an 8!
8. Deep-V Wedding Dresses
- This style of wedding dress made a huge hit with trends for the year. If done in a tasteful manner, this style is perfect for the modern bride! It works with about any style skirt as well as lace . This deserves an 8 out of 10!
- Whether used for food, drinks, or favors, DIY was huge for the year! I t was nice for guests to be able to personalize their food or wedding favors the way they like it. Unfortunately, I don’t believe the trend will continue into the new year. And since I am not a fan of DIY, I will give this a 4 out of 10.
And last but not least….
10. BOHO Chic
- This trend is my personal favorite, and I always save best for last! Flower crowns, garden themes, and nature galore! I would personally love to have this as the theme for my wedding one day, but will it remain a top trend for 2018? We shall see! And obviously, I want to give this wedding trend a 10 out of 10!
To each and everyone of you, I hope you had a Merry Christmas, and an even Happier New Year!